In this age of ever-increasing government action, it can be hard to accept that a major issue is going unchecked. Unfortunately, this is the case for cannabis farmers who are struggling with the devastating effects of a viroid. Despite the devastating damage it is causing, federal inaction has allowed it to continue unchecked. It is clear that something must be done to stop the viroid. Otherwise, the repercussions will be dire for cannabis farmers.
1. The Startling Reality of Viroid Infestation
The impact of viroid infestation on any form of agricultural produce is no laughing matter. It can have devastating effects, especially when it spreads through a large crop. But, what is a viroid, and what are the implications of having such an infestation?
A viroid is an infectious agent that reaches its host via other plants and crops, quickly spreading through entire fields like wildfire. These pathogens are smaller in size even than most viruses, meaning they can easily get through the plant’s natural defenses. When this happens, the host plant’s system is heavily weakened, leading to all kinds of complications:
- Decline In Yield: The plant will not be able to develop and grow in the same capacity as before, resulting in a sharp decline in yield.
- Reduced Nutrition: The lack of nutrition is another serious concern caused by viroid infestation. The nutrients available to the host are going to be greatly reduced, which could stunt its growth or even lead to death.
- Spread Of Disease: The weakened state of the host plant also makes it more susceptible to a variety of diseases. If left unchecked, these diseases can spread throughout entire fields, wreaking havoc on the entire harvest.
It is clear that viroid infestation is not something to take lightly, and if it is not addressed quickly it could have major implications for any agricultural endeavor.
2. Federal Inaction Leaves Cannabis Farmers Unprotected
As the cannabis industry continues to explode, it is estimated that hundreds of thousands of farmers across the US are growing push the product. Unfortunately, the reality is that these farmers lack basic legal and financial protections due to the federal government’s inaction. And it’s causing an imbalance of opportunity for many of the nation’s small-scale and independent growers.
Without the protection of state and federal regulations, some farmers are facing unacceptable risks when it comes to protecting their crops, personnel, and investments. Here are just a few of the issues holding back these producers:
- Lack of Legality: Most farmers are unable to take advantage of government programs to cover the cost of agrochemicals, market-ready products, and crop insurance due to ineligibility due to federal illegality.
- Crippled Credit: Agricultural banks are typically unwilling to provide financial services to cannabis farmers, leaving many with little to no relationship with financial institutions.
- Limited Access: Cannabis farmers may not be able to access water sources to irrigate their crops due to restrictions from local and state policies.
Given the myriad of challenges these farmers face, it’s hard to understand why more isn’t being done to protect them. If the federal government continues to stay silent on the issue of cannabis farming, the industry could see a severe shortage of small-scale producers.
3. The Unsettling Consequences of Neglect
Neglect can be defined as when someone fails to give enough attention to something or someone that needs it. It’s an all too common occurrence in the world but unfortunately can lead to dire consequences.
- When people are not being given sufficient physical care, it can lead to health issues such as:
- Left unchecked, negligence can even lead to physical harm such as cuts, bruises, and bone fractures.
- Neglect can also have a damaging effect on the mental state of those affected.
- Social Withdrawal
- These problems may even follow into adulthood as the effects of neglect can last a lifetime.
4. A Call to Arms for Government Action
Now more than ever is the time to take this pandemic seriously and call on government officials to take action. With the world already facing countless crises and a deteriorating situation, this call to arms must be heard. Here are four key points that governments need to act upon:
- Strict Enforcement: Governments need to implement strict enforcement rules and regulations for adhering to health guidelines such as wearing masks, social distancing etc. Any kind of violation should carry heavy penalties.
- Increased Vaccination: Governments should prioritize vaccinations and speed up the process to vaccinate as many people as possible.
- Curfews: Governments can impose localized lockdowns to curb local transmission. This can include curfews, restrictions on movements, and other precautionary measures.
- Aid Packages: Governments need to support small businesses and the economically weaker sections of society with aid packages. This could include relief in taxes, loans, and other economic aids.
In this fight against the pandemic, governments must take active and decisive steps to help manage the situation. They have the power to make the necessary changes that will turn the tide in favour of us all. So let’s hope that the call to action gets taken seriously and governments take immediate action to take charge of the situation in every country.
The consequences of federal inaction in the face of this viroid catastrophe are devastating, and it is up to us to ensure that cannabis farmers have the support they need in light of this dire situation. Without immediate action, we run the risk of even more destruction of livelihoods and crops. Now, more than ever, it is time to mobilize our collective power to fight for a better future.