At long last, America is facing a historic turning point in the fight to end the drug crisis. On Tuesday, a new Congressional Resolution was introduced calling for marijuana to be legalized and for the government to fund overdose prevention sites as a part of its “Moral Obligation”. If approved, this Resolution could be a major breakthrough both in tackling the opioid crisis and in addressing racial inequality in the criminal justice system.
1. Congress to Legalize Marijuana as Part of Government’s ‘Moral Obligation’
The U.S. Congress is set to move forward with their plans to legalize Marijuana as part of the larger government’s ‘moral obligation’. Supporters argue that legalizing the use of medical marijuana could help alleviate pain for an array of ailments with very few ill affects. The government insistence for legalization stems from the idea that we have a community-wide responsibility to help those in need, and that this specific case would be an appropriate way to fulfill this obligation.
If passed, the legislation would not only allow for the use of medical marijuana for those with medical conditions, but also decriminalize the use of marijuana among the general population. Legal experts believe that legalization will create an increase in marijuana-related taxes which can then be used to help fund social welfare initiatives. They further argue a need to update laws which conflict with current thinking and put those in need at risk or with felony prosecutions.
- Legislation would allow medical use of marijuana to alleviate pain for various ailments
- Government obligation to help those in need and this would be an appropriate way to do so
- Legalization will create more taxation revenues which can go towards social welfare
- Need to update laws to fit current thinking, and prevent felony prosecutions for marijuana use
2. Overdose Prevention Sites to be Established Across the Nation
It has been announced that several overdose prevention sites are to be established across the nation. The aim of these sites is to reduce the harm done to those who suffer from substance misuse.
The sites are going to:
- Provide a safe environment for those at risk of overdosing.
- Provide immediate, emergency medical treatment in the event of a drug overdose.
- Help individuals to access substance misuse treatments and services in the local area.
These proposed sites will benefit communities across the nation, providing safer and more effective care for those in need. The sites will be staffed by experienced medical professionals.
3. The Pros and Cons of a Pro-Cannabis Congressional Resolution
The debate about the use of cannabis is a heated one, with opinion on both sides. Congress can weigh in on the matter with a resolution, but what exactly are the potential pros and cons of such an action?
- Under a Congressional resolution, cannabis use could be decriminalized and taxed. This could create an additional revenue stream, providing funds for public investment.
- When treated as a legitimate product, regulations can be put in place to ensure that users are not exposed to over-strength cannabis and that cannabis does not end up in the hands of minors.
- Studies may become more commonplace, helping to better assess both the beneficial and negative impacts that cannabis can have.
- Marijuana remains illegal on the federal level. In the eyes of the law, a resolution would be more of a statement of opinion than a mandate.
- Opponents may see this resolution as an endorsement of cannabis use, creating a moral struggle.
- Though cannabis can be taxed, there are potential loss of profits if individuals begin producing it at home.
4. How This Historic Decision Will Impact American Life
On June 15, 2020, the United States Supreme Court ruled that LGBTQ+ people are protected from discrimination in the workplace as a result of their sexual orientation or gender identity. This ruling was celebrated by many LGBTQ+ individuals who never had the ability to feel accepted and respected by their employers before.
This extremely meaningful legal decision will have an immense impact on American life in many different ways. Here are a few examples of how this decision will change our world:
- Greater Equality: LGBTQ+ individuals will now be allowed to work without fear of discrimination due to their orientation or gender identity, which could lead to an overall increase in job security. This will lead to greater economic stability and autonomy.
- Increased Rights: It now opens the door for more equality-focused laws and regulations to be passed, which could potentially broaden the rights of the LGBTQ+ community even further.
- Visibility and Acceptance: This ruling serves as a symbol of the progress that has been made when it comes to acceptance of the LGBTQ+ community. It is a sign that our society is becoming more open and accepting of a traditionally marginalized group.
This historic ruling is a momentous landmark in the fight for equal rights and a huge step towards a largely more equal society. This decision could have long-lasting implications for the LGBTQ+ population and will undoubtedly shape American life for years to come.
This proposed Congressional Resolution is setting into motion a much needed change in the systems of healthcare, criminal justice, and addiction treatment. In a time of crisis, the US Government has put forth a moral obligation to provide a safe and healing space for our nation’s citizens. With the power of policy, these landmark decisions can move us ever closer towards a more just and compassionate society.