The Golden State may soon get a bit greener: the California Senate has just approved a bill that could clear the way for on-site marijuana consumption in so-called “cannabis cafes,” with a simple final concurrence vote before going to Governor Gavin Newsom’s desk. If all goes to plan, the state could become the first in the nation to allow smoking, vaping, and even eating edibles in specially-licensed establishments. The bill seeks to make marijuana consumption more accessible, and to turn an often-stigmatized activity into a more socially acceptable one.
1. California Seeks to Legalize Public Marijuana Consumption
California is taking steps towards marijuana reform as local lawmakers raise bills proposing to permit public consumption, close cannabis exclusions, and reduce punishments for related offenses. The proposed regulations go hand in hand with the legalisation of recreational cannabis in the State in 2018.
The bill outlines various rules to ensure the safety of cannabis use in public settings. If passed, designated marijuana consumption sites will be allowed to open for business in municipalities. These designated places could function in the same manner as bars and restaurants. Moreover, applications for hemp and cannabis events will no longer be dismissed due to a lack of “fit and proper person”.
- Restrictions on Advertising – Ads and promotional campaigns will not be allowed on television, radio, or public transportation vehicles.
- Smoke-Free Zones – Cannabis consumption will be prohibited in places such as schools, hospitals, and daycare centers.
- Public Consumption – Marijuana consumption may be authorized if the place is equipped with proper ventilation.
2. Senate Passes Bill Allowing Cannabis Cafes
The Senate has officially passed legislation that paves the way for dispensing cannabis cafes in the state. This decision has been long-awaited by those in favor of smoking cannabis in social settings and businesses alike. There is now an opportunity to establish unique venues where individuals can partake in the use of cannabis.
The bill itself sets the standards for the state-level cannabis industry. Performance metrics including cleanliness, security, age limits, and testing requirements are all set by the Senate bill. Additionally, the bill allows for certain businesses and venues to seek Great License, allowing them to provide consumers with legal cannabis in a social environment. Now, cannabis cafes may finally exist in the state.
- Consumers of legal age will be able to purchase and use cannabis in a safe, secure environment
- State-level regulations and performance metrics are in place to ensure cleanliness, age restrictions, and safety
- Businesses and venues may now seek a Great License, allowing them to provide cannabis cafes to the public
3. Governor Expected to Vote Upcoming Week
With an upcoming ballot on the horizon and the clock ticking, Governor Jeffery Jones is expected to cast his vote in the coming week. His voting history speaks loud and clear; never one to shy away from a decision that stands up for his beliefs.
The bill at hand is a contentious topic, as many disagree vehemently on the implications of the proposed policy.
- Jones’ voice will aid the entire state in understanding where he stands – his vote could truly be the deciding one.
- Swift decision is needed, as residents take to the polls to decide on the same issue in the commencing week.
- Timely vote from Governor Jones is essential, as for many, his opinion could solidify their own.
Taking into consideration the fact that any vote Jones casts may create lasting impact for the entire state, it is logical to envision that his deliberation will be detailed and thoughtful. As the world awaits his decision, each household in the state holds their collective breath in anticipation.
4. Landmark Legislation Set to Shake Up Cannabis Industry
The cannabis industry is abuzz with anticipation over landmark legislation set to take effect in the near future. With sweeping changes on the horizon, the industry is preparing for a wave of opportunities and considerations.
Here are some of the ways the industry is preparing to make the most of the looming changes:
- Increased Investment Activity: As the legal landscape for cannabis evolves, corporate investors are ready to ante up with investment capital. Investors will be quick to capitalize on new forms of investment, such as public and private equity, venture capital, and mergers and acquisitions.
- Cannabis Licensing: Licensing is a hot topic within the industry and legislation is likely to bring about a host of new regulations around obtaining and maintaining licenses. This could create significant barriers to entry but also ensure a higher standard of quality management.
- Innovation Potential:As new regulations and investments come into play, the possibility for innovation in the industry is set to skyrocket. Companies are already exploring new ways to offer products and services, and the forthcoming changes could give them the framework they need to set new trends.
The cannabis industry is gearing up for some monumental changes that could shape the future of the industry for years to come. With investors ready to move in, regulations set to tighten, and innovation on the rise, the possibilities are seemingly endless.
Californians may soon be able to experience the convenience and freedom of enjoying a cannabis cafe. With the California Senate approving the legislation, and a final vote of concurrence expected soon before presenting it to the governor, it won’t be long now until Californians can enjoy a unique recreational opportunity. So light up the bong, the future of cannabis cafes looks bright.